7 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar, divided in half
1 3/4 cups ground hazelnuts
8 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup water
2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
1/2 cup avocado or safflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts
Fresh berries, washed and dried
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the base and sides of a 10 inch springform cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a clean, dry bowl, use an electric mixer to whisk the egg whites until fluffy. Gradually add 1/2 cup of sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the ground hazelnuts, 1/2 cup sugar, chocolate, water and coffee granules. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and add the oil, stirring well.
- Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly. Add the egg yolks, vanilla and salt, beating well to combine.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into the prepared tin and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, undo the latch on the cake tin and allow cake to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, place the chocolate, sugar, oil and water in a small saucepan and warm over low heat, stirring occasionally until it is a smooth and shiny glaze.
- Place the cake on a serving plate and spread the chocolate glaze over the top, allowing it to drip down the sides of the cake.
- Scatter hazelnuts around the edge of the cake and garnish with fresh berries.