36 large Madjool dates
2 cups almond flour
1 ¼ cups confectioners sugar
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon orange blossom water
or rose water
- Make a horizontal slit in each date (do not cut all the way through) and remove the pits.
- In a food processor fitted with a blade, combine the almond flour and sugar, slowly add the water a few drops at a time and add the almond extract or orange blossom water.
- When mixture starts to form a dough, pulse 10 times.
- Divide the mixture into two bowls. Add a few drops of red food coloring in one and green food coloring in the other. Knead each dough separately, making sure not to stain with the other color.
- Allow mixture to sit for one hour.
- Roll small cylinders of almond paste, the same length as the dates, but half the diameter. Then stuff each date.
- Score the exposed almond paste with the dull side of a paring knife to create a diamond pattern, then roll the date in sugar.
- Store the stuffed dates in an airtight container.
- Marzipan can also be used to stuff prunes and walnuts.