Miel Arabe (Arabic Honey Syrup)
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
½ lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1 tablespoon orange blossom water (or rosewater)
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil over medium heat. Add sugar and stir until sugar has melted.
- Add lemon juice, cinnamon and orange blossom water and stir well.
- Set aside to cool for at least one hour, so that the syrup thickens.
1 16 ounce package of Kataifi pastry
8 ounces vegan butter, melted
1 cup of sugar
2 cups chopped pecans
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup Arabic honey syrup
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- In a large bowl, separate kataifi strands so that they are loose and fluffy. Add melted vegan butter and mix well. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, ground pecans and cinnamon.
- Place half the pastry into a greased baking pan or glass pie dish. Sprinkle nut mixture evenly over the pastry. Cover with the remaining strands of pastry.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until pastry appears golden and crunchy. Remove from oven drizzle with Arabic honey syrup.
Miyoko’s Creamery Butter is our favorite vegan butter.
Any nuts you love will work in this recipe: almonds, walnuts, pistachios.
All spices and flavored waters are optional