1lb sweet butter, clarified
Equal volume of vegetable oil
(Measure the butter in a cup after you clarify it and then match the amount)
5 to 6 cups flour
1 ½ cup sugar (baker’s is best)
1 ½ cup powdered sugar
A couple of drops of rose water (optional)
- Melt the butter in a pot over the stove or in the microwave.
- Skim off all of the white grainy part of the butter to leave it completely clarified.
- Add the same amount of oil to a big bowl and combine.
- Slowly add both sugars, mixing to incorporate them completely. (Make sure that there are no lumps of sugar or butter in the batter.)
- Add flour a little at a time until you can form a soft ball (about 5 or 6 cups)
- Add a couple of drops of rose water (optional)
- Form balls the size of a walnut and place on a tray then press the center of the cookie with a clean, unused pencil eraser to make a hole.
- Bake at 350 degrees until slightly gold on the bottom edges.