6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
1 cup finely sliced celery
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup short grain or Arborio rice, rinsed
1 1/2 cups saffron water (see note)
1 8 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 can of baby artichoke hearts
10 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Sear chicken in 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat till lightly browned, about 5 minutes each side, then set aside.
2. Sauté onion in the remaining olive oil till it becomes translucent.
3. Add garlic, celery and pepper until the vegetables are lightly glazed.
4. Add rice and saffron water and bring to a boil.
5. Stir till the rice has a golden color and reduce heat.
6. Add the canned tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir well.
7. Nestle the chicken pieces into the rice.
8. If rice appears too dry, add a little water.
9. Cover tightly and simmer for twenty minutes.
10. Turn off the heat and let sit for ten minutes.
11. Fluff with a fork and serve.
(Note: Saffron water can be found in Persian and Kosher markets. To make at home, steep a generous pinch of saffron in 1 1/2 cups warm water or broth for 20 minutes.) ■