For the dough-
1 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
Pinch of salt
2 cups warm water
3 cups all purpose flour
Canola or vegetable oil
- Mix ½ cup of water with 1 teaspoon of instant yeast, and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Let sit till it is foamy.
- Then mix with 3 cups of flour, 1 egg, 1 ½ cups of warm water and a pinch of salt.
- Mix with a wooden spoon to form a sticky wet dough.
- Cover with dish towel and let rise for 2 hours.
- Pour 1/2 inch of oil into a pan over medium heat until a pinch of dough immediately floats to the top.
- With a spoon or small ice cream scooper drop into hot oil.
- Dough will puff up and rise to the top quickly.
- If dough does not rise, it means the oil is not hot enough.
- Fry until golden, remove and place on wire rack, or paper towels to drain any excess oil.
For the syrup-
1 cup of sugar
3 TBS of honey
½ cup water
Bring to a boil, then pour over the Burmuelos. Serve hot.
Best day of and even better to serve right away.