1/2 cup hot water
3 cups Basmati rice
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups shredded carrots
Avocado or vegetable oil for frying
1 onion, finely diced
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup raw pistachios
1/3 cup barberries
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup candied orange peel
- Place a pinch of saffron strands in a bowl and cover with hot water., then set aside to steep.
- Place rice in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Rinse four to five times until the water is fairly clear.
- Cover the rice with cold water and soak for at least one hour.
- Drain water from rice and place in a large pot.
- Pour enough water over the rice, so that the water is at least 1 inch above the rice.
- Add kosher salt and olive oil and bring the rice to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- When all the water has been absorbed, reduce the heat to low.
- Fluff the rice, then add the shredded carrots onto the rice.
- Pour the saffron water over the carrots, cover with a dish towel or paper towel and a tight fitting lid. Let steam for 25-30 minutes.
- In a frying pan, warm oil over medium heat, then add onions and sauté until caramelized. Then set aside.
- In the same frying pan, toast the almonds and pistachios over low heat. Then set aside.
- Warm a little oil to the frying pan and set over medium heat. Add raisins and barberries and sauté lightly. Set aside.
- Add orange peels to the frypan and sauté lightly. Set aside.
- Place hot rice on a large serving platter and arrange onions, almonds, pistachios, barberries, raisins and orange peel in a pretty pattern.