4 cups thawed frozen kataifi (shredded Phyllo pastry)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced and at room temperature
1/2 cup Saffron syrup
1 cup chopped pistachios
1/4 cup dried baby rosebuds, for garnish
- Place the kataifi in a bowl and gently separate the strands with your fingers.
- Melt butter in a cast-iron skillet over low heat. Spread the kataifi evenly in the skillet.
- Sprinkle with the sugar, then arrange mozzarella slices on top.
Cook until the cheese melts and the bottom is a golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and invert onto a serving dish.
- Drizzle with the saffron syrup and top with the chopped pistachios.
- Garnish with rosebuds, if desired.
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon orange blossom water
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange rind
Generous pinch saffron threads
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the water, sugar, orange blossom water, orange rind and saffron.
- Stir constantly until the mixture reaches a simmer and the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Note: Syrup can be refrigerated for 6 months in a tightly sealed jar.