Based on: Cancer Diet for the Newly Diagnosed
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup hot water with a big pinch of saffron
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil,
1 14oz can artichoke hearts, drained
and cut into quarters
1 large leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
8 asparagus stalks, cut into one inch
1 ½ cups arborio rice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
¼ cup chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon lemon rind, grated
Juice of one lemon
- In a pot, bring the broth to a low simmer over medium heat, then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the leek and saute until tender and golden. Add the artichokes and the asparagus, leaving the artichoke tips aside. Saute for 5 minutes and transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the rice and salt, and stir to coat the rice. Cook the mixture for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. (The rice may start to sizzle and crackle.)
- Reduce the heat to medium low, then add the broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring after each cup until the liquid is absorbed, approximately 5 minutes per cup. Add the saffron water and continue stirring so that the risotto becomes thick and creamy, about 20 to 30 minutes total.
- Once the risotto is finished cooking and the liquid is absorbed, stir in the vegetables, the lemon juice, the lemon rind, the pepper and the fresh herbs. Serve warm