6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, divided into 3 portions
2 leeks, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
10 oz mushrooms, finely sliced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chopped Roma or cherry tomatoes, chopped and drained of liquid
3/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
3/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped basil
1 teaspoon freshly grated turmeric or 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat a cast iron skillet (or oven safe skillet) over medium heat, then add two tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add leeks and sauté until translucent and slightly golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil, then add mushrooms and sauté for two minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until mushrooms begin to brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, turmeric, salt and pepper till light and fluffy, then add the leeks, mushrooms and tomatoes and stir in gently.
- Warm two more tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat and when the skillet is hot, pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 3 minutes, until the edges begin to puff up and are a golden brown.
- Add the herbs on top and lightly press into the omelet.
- Transfer the skillet into the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the center of the omelet is set.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
- For a fluffier, creamier omelet add 1/3 cup of plain unsweetened oat or almond milk or full fat milk.
- If adding cheese, we suggest feta, goat, Gouda or shredded cheddar. Add in with the herbs.