2 cups pitted dates
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons water
1/4 cup crushed walnuts
In a frying pan, over very low heat, combine dates and olive oil. Stir for 5 minutes until the date mixture is soft. Add water and walnuts and stir until it becomes a smooth paste.
Set aside to cool.
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup sesame seeds
In a small bowl, beat together the eggs, honey and water. Set aside.
- Dough Recipe
2 packets active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups warm water, divided
7 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 cup avocado or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- In a small bowl, add warm water to yeast, sugar and salt. Cover and leave to proof for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, add flour, oil, water, fennel seeds and yeast mixture and mix until a dough is formed.
- Remove dough from mixer bowl and knead the dough by hand until it is smooth and stretchy.
- Place the dough in an an oiled bowl, then rub some oil on top of the dough. Cover with a kitchen towel, set aside in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough and knead for 2 minutes. Return to the bowl and let stand for 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Divide the dough into four pieces. Grease hands with oil, pinch the dough into golf ball size balls and roll till smooth. Lay the dough balls on a greased baking sheet.
- Place a ball of dough into the palm of your hand, make a deep indentation into the dough and place half a tablespoon of date filling in the hole.
- Pinch dough closed, dip the ball into the egg mixture, then roll in sesame seeds.
- With a small rolling pin, roll the ball flat until it is about 4 inches in diameter. With the end of the rolling pin, make a few indentations in the center of the cookie. Place cookies on a baking sheet. Repeat until all dough and date filling are used.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden and crispy.