3 to 4 pounds chicken, cut into 10 pieces
1 large red onion
¼ cup olive oil
2 cups orange juice
½ cup tamarind paste
1/3 cup silan (date syrup)
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt to taste
½ teaspoon white pepper
½ cup dried apricots
½ cup dried plums
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup toasted peeled slivered or whole
almonds, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk tamarind paste, orange juice, silan (date syrup), paprika, salt and pepper, then set aside.
- In an oven safe skillet, warm the oil over medium low heat and sauté the onions until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces skin side down and sauté for 3 minutes, then flip the pieces.
- Add the dried fruits, tamarind sauce and water to the skillet.
- Cover with foil and bake for one hour. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a serving platter, then add the toasted almonds