1 pound ground beef
1 small yellow onion, grated and drained of liquid
2 garlic cloves, grated
4 tablespoons potato starch
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Place all the ingredients in a large bowl, then mix to combine well.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Form mixture into small meatballs, then set aside.
1 pinch of saffron threads
1 cup hot water
1 chicken consommé cube
1 large onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 small golden potatoes, peeled and diced
Salt & pepper
1 cup cilantro, for garnish
1 teaspoon cumin, optional
- Soak saffron in water, let sit for 10 minutes, add consommé to saffron water and stir until dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, warm olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 10 minutes until caramelized.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the meatballs and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Turn the meatballs to brown evenly, then add the potatoes.
- Pour saffron water over the potatoes and meatballs, then add the salt and pepper. If more broth is desired, add more water.
- Give the pot a good shake so the meatballs and potatoes don’t stick to the bottom, (using a spoon will break the potatoes), cover and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro and cumin on top.