1/4 cup olive oil
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
1 14 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup water
1 large lemon, juiced
• Warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender.
• Add the tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Lower heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
• Add water and lemon juice and stir well for 2 more minutes. Set aside
3 medium eggplants, thinly sliced in long strips
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/4 cup avocado oil
2 tablespoons avocado oil
1 onion chopped
1 lb ground beef
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons potato starch
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup pitted prunes
• Preheat oven to 450°F
• Sprinkle salt over eggplant strips, place in a colander and let drain, about 20 minutes.
• Squeeze water from eggplant and pat dry with a paper towel
• Brush both sides of eggplant with oil and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet
• Bake for 10 minutes or until tender and slightly golden.
• Remove eggplants from oven and reduce oven heat to 350°F
• In a medium skillet, warm oil over medium heat and add onion. Sauté until translucent and soft. Set aside to cool.
• Place ground beef in a medium bowl, then add the onions.
• Add the spices, potato starch, egg, parsley and oil and mix to combine.
• Roll the beef mixture into long meatballs and place on the wider side of the eggplant. Roll the eggplant over the meat filling and place in a large ovenproof dish.
• Arrange prunes in between the eggplant rolls.
• Pour the sauce over the eggplant rolls.
• Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.